Sunday 13 January 2013

John Evans Presentation, PLN development and iphone "rules"....


     I enjoyed the presentation by John Evans in class on Thursday, January 10th. He is so passionate about the use of technology as a tool for keeping teachers connected and sharing information. I definately agree that the ability to share ideas and work in collaboration with others will enhance the teaching and learning experience. It is especially great to think of the opportunities for teachers working in schools where they may be the only teacher in their subject area. I think of how interesting it was to observe different classroom styles and approaches and ideas  in my student teaching placements. With a PLN, I can have access to ideas, conversations and support that increase my options, and inspire me to create engaging lessons. In turn, I can share my ideas, contribute to the pool of creativity and get feedback. I believe that the heart of teaching is communicating. Having a PLN is an important way to exchange information and feel connected with others committed to supporting students on our learning journey.
     I was introduced to the Maple network, which will be valuable for connecting with other Manitoba teachers. I like how the network is specifically geared to education and ICT. As for many busy people with limited time, having a place to go where I know the information will be relevant to the  curriculum I work with will be valuable.
     One point that made me think was a the brief conversation about having "rules" for students / children regarding the use of  iphones. I personally feel that  part of the job of teaching ICT Literacy is to encourage the appropriate use of technology. Along with the benefits and access to information that an iphone can provide, there is potential for distraction and misuse in the classroom (and elsewhere!). Learning about safety and etiquette are an important part of the deal.  I feel that having expectations for responsible use and reinforcing these expectations is part of the job of teachers and parents. These safety and etiquette skills can and should be taught as part of ICT Literacy. Just as young people need some help to learn to self regulate other behaviour like watching TV and drinking Coke, they may also need some direction in their choices in this area. There are appropriate times and places for all kinds of communication... online, reading, listening and face to face discussion and interaction. I want to guide students to enhance ALL of their communication skills.

6 comments:

  1. Responsible use is definitely something we need to impart to our students. It's easy to just ban devices when we don't like how students are using them, but if there are no standards of use students will use them however they want.
    Also, I'm glad to add you to my ePLN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Responsible use of technology is such a complicated subject for me! Today, we are going to have student's who have been "glued" to their computers/devices since they were entering school. It is hard to break habits that may already be 10 years old.
    Additionally, it can be hard to tell what students are actually doing on the computer (you can have 5 different windows open, different user names, etc).
    I am hoping that since technological responsibility is such a big topic that students are getting this information much younger than they have in the past. Maybe that will help solve some of the concerns...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know so many divisions, schools and teachers who don't allow students to use their iPhone, iPod and other such devices in class I believe it is our job as educators to teach student responsibility. How can they use these devices as a tool and not a distraction. This is one of the greatest challenges I think I will face as a classroom teacher. You look at a student who is on their phone in your class and what goes through my mind is " are they on facebook". Therefore, I think I need to change my outlook and realize that students can be distracted by anything. A PLN helps us as educators come up with ways to use technology in the classroom without it becoming a distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my last placement I found that many students were "playing" with the iPads as opposed to "learning with" the iPads. I had to monitor iPad use so closely, but the real problem was that I was so unfamiliar with iPads myself. It was then that I vowed to learn more about using iPads as a teaching/learning tool and how to teach students to use them responsibly. I really didn't like how it felt to be uneducated about iPads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is nice to have a site such as Maple that is specifically geared towards teachers, as you noted. It will make it much easier to be able to filter through information that will actually be relevant and from a reliable source.
    Having rules for the use of personal devices in the classroom is crucial. If there are no rules, the students will not be on task. It may be difficult to get the students on board with your rules and actually following them, but the chance to use technology over pen and paper will be on your side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah ... responsible use, rules, etc - we need to have a class discussion on these issues :-)

    ReplyDelete