Thursday 24 January 2013

Connecting with Dr. Couros

Another class.. another interesting talk by an extremely "connected" person! This ability to bring people into the class from a distance is so great. I went to a PD with Devon Caldwell about Smartboard and other technologies. Her class is skyping regularly with other classes around the continent, and beyond... and now I'm in the mix! Her kids were talking to a vet about making dog biscuits... I immediately thought about the possibilities of skyping in local and other experts on a host of topics in my classrooms.
Dr. Couros emphasized the dramatic shift in how we get information, with smart phones now out-numbering "dumb" phones for the first time. Overlooking the insult to my poor little phone, it really hit home how the expectations for speed in communication and access to information are changing. As I start to utilise these new communication tools like Twitter, right now it feels like I have to spend so much time checking things in different places that I can't keep up! I know I will become more adept with practise, but it was funny to see the shock on my friend's face today when I said I hadn't checked Twitter yet.. it was noon, after all!  I have to watch that You-tube "Twitter" video to sort out what I'm looking at...
I really liked the connections Dr. Couros made to two areas I am passionate about... communication and creative  expression. There are so many ways to encourage both, using technology. Technology allows more opportunities for differentiated instruction and reaching students through  different mediums. His comments on activism and mobilisation also struck me. In the past two years we have seen political movements and events get started, grow and move into the global consciousness, all through social media.
In all, more inspiration for me to learn and practise and try and grow...!

7 comments:

  1. It does feel like we have so many spaces, emails, and pages to check now. I think I may need to get myself a "smart" phone so I can keep up with all the things I need to check and respond too.
    It is really amazing when we stop to think about all the D.I. opportunities that technology offers us as teachers. I can't wait to use Skype, video making, and even blogging in my classroom.
    And you are right, Alec's words were inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was student teaching I loved skyping people into my class. During a lesson on genetics in my Bio40S class I skyped in my Genetics Professor from Duluth, MN. She was great and the class really interacted well with her. I think you and Lisa should get a smart phone. I didn't know if I would like it at first, but I have everything at my fingertips. I check my twitter (which I am new at), Facebook and email. I also have workout apps on my phone to keep me focused in the gym.

    Jen Falk
    "Teach long and prosper" - Star Trek

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was it my face you're referring to? It is a lot to keep up with (and this is coming from a computer-phile), but in the end you filter and pick and choose from the tonnes of stuff that bombard you.
    I find twitter very useful, so I'm on it very frequent. If you had said you hadn't checked your facebook, there would've been no shocked look ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was jennifer's face... you managed to hide your shock... hee hee!

      Delete
  4. I attended Devon's PD last year and it was amazing!! Using Skype and everything! She is the true definition of a connected teacher! I think the projects with other classrooms is just amazing, and it is something that every student, and teacher, could benefit from!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved my PD with Devon last term was amazing. She does some pretty impressive things with her kindergarten students.
    On a different note, I am glad you are putting so much effort into being a connected teacher. I know sometimes I get tired of being connected and taking a day off is okay, particularly when we are just getting started. Good luck on the journey, it as more fun than it is scary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree Kelsey. I find that bringing people in from all around the world (into your classroom) really engages students and encourages learning. It is a great cultural experience for the students in the classroom. I heard great things about Devan's PD and wish I would have gone to it!!

    ReplyDelete