Saturday 2 March 2013

The Future is Happening!

Reading the NMC Horizon Report is an eye-opening look at the amazing ways technology is enhancing education and learning now, and a look ahead to possibilities for the future.
This is an exciting time in education. We have tools that can expand and and extend the learning experience for ourselves and for students. A few of my thoughts, ideas and realizations...
Smartphones/Tablets - These devices already have a strong presence in many schools. They allow students independent access to information and the ability to communicate and connect with others outside the classroom. A huge array of Apps allow for differentiation and offer some students specialized learning support. Before this class I was a little nervous about "dealing" with kids using phones in school all day, and fearing the distraction this might cause. Now, I have come to understand the many functions and benefits of phones and tablets. Students won't be distracted, and will use the tools for learning if they are guided and encouraged to do so... and that is my job.
Game-based Learning - This is an area I need to learn more about. I think that there are many benefits to games and often use cooperative and competitive games in my lessons. I agree that games can increase engagement and develop visual awareness, problem solving and strategy. I think I have an image of the "gamer" as being isolated, playing a game instead of interacting with real people. I realize  that most games have a community of players, and need to work on accepting Mr. M. Nantais' wise words... "these (online connections) are real people, too!" As with everything, moderation and balance are key.
Personal Learning Environments - This aspect of technology is really interesting to me. Students can use tools to create a personal environment to suit their own learning style. They can explore and connect with people in their own areas of interest. I see this embracing this development as true constructivism... students taking ownership of their learning. As a teacher, my goal is to instill in students a love of learning for its own sake. Through technology, students have more independence and more opportunity for self-directed learning.
Augmented Reality - The Horizon report is looking down the road and seeing these developments becoming classroom norms. The blend of "real world and related media and data" is basically an extension of how we are already using technology to connect with other classrooms and cultures,experiences, and places around the world. This kind of technology will offer contextual experience. As we all strive to make learning relevant and make lessons come alive, I can imagine the virtual tours of the future! My students might be able to explore Ankor Wat, or watch an ancient Olympics, or experience the life of an astronaut. Exciting stuff!
Natural User Interface Developments in technology mean advances in how people interact with devices. As my 2 year old niece shows me when she tries to "slide" the screen on my not-smart-phone to "see the pictures", people have already adapted to different interactions with devices and want hands on access! A point I really liked in the report was about this technology was considering the possibilities for people with disabilities that affect speech or mobility. Imagine what  gesture or voice based interface could mean for some people's ability to communicate and connect!

No comments:

Post a Comment