Thursday 21 February 2013

Videos I have loved... part uno...

Who doesn't love a relevant, related or funny video in any class? I think video is a great tool to engage students and enhance a lesson. It presents information in another way and appeals to most learners. I have mainly sourced videos from youtube in the past, but my horizons are expanding! I like how there are so many sites now that focus on educational videos, organized by content area. I have checked out a few of my fellow ed student's favorites  and immediately started thinking about how I could incorporate some of the great short videos into my upcoming units.

I used this video in my first placement. I like that it was created by a student. The kids in my class loved it...

Othello in 3 minutes....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP2qQT6MuBQ&list=PLE690512369819D69

You may not believe this, but this computer-phobe also had students create videos in this class... just short moviemaker skits about issues in Othello set in  modern day Canada. I gave the students scenarios to base their skits on before we read the play. The students really enjoyed creating and watching each other's work. Once we started reading the play, they liked figuring out which issue their own video story was based on. We did a comparison exercise of "same issue... different setting". Video really helped me to engage this group who told me before we started that they "hated" Shakespeare.

4 comments:

  1. I love that you got your students to create their own videos. I am thinking of doing that for a science or math project. I am just learning how to use iMovie on my computer, it is a struggle but I am working on it. How did your students create their videos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen! Just used cameras belonging to school and moviemaker... tech pretty bad / slow in the school, so most did the editing at home. Wasn't after excellent product as much as participation...to get them into the play! Worked well, they liked doing and viewing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol - I love the Othello video! I just bookmarked it. I find myself always searching YouTube for a video to activate lessons. I think they're great, and really - who didn't love when a teacher showed a video in class?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Letting students create their own videos sounded like a lot of fun! I am putting it down on my list of things that I need to try with my students when I'm student teaching!

    ReplyDelete